Sunday 1 September 2013

Homegrown Sunday Lunch



There is nothing more rewarding than growing your own fruit and vegetables.  Nothing tastes quite like it...not to mention the freshness of it and the fact that it has cost you a fraction of the supermarket prices.  There is just no comparison.....
 
I steamed the marrow whilst cooking the potatoes and then seasoned with salt and pepper and grated some mature cheddar over the top.
 
 
 
 The chicken was the only shop bought thing on the plates.  I made my own gravy from the crispy juicy bits on the bottom of the pan and thickened it all up with a bit of cornflour.
 
 
 
 For pudding, I stewed some of our bramley apples with a bit of sugar and a few cloves.  Then made a crumble mix with self raising flower, butter and some soft brown sugar.  This was sprinkled over the apples and popped in the oven for around half an hour.  Served with a big dollop of thick double cream....yum yum!





On the crafting front I have been getting a few bits made up for Halloween as it is next in the seasonal calendar here at the Fairyglade.  I received some wonderful fabrics from my seriously lovely penfriend in the USA.  Thank you so much Marqueta I absolutely love them.


 
This piece is so cute that I wouldn't know where to cut into it so have decided that I might make it into a cushion front.

 
I haven't cross stitched in many moons even though it was one of the first crafts that I learnt.  I have dipped in now and agian over the years.  Due to blogging, my interest has been sparked again, having found so many fabulous blogs especially in USA.  I found this cute little freebie online.  Now as I type this I cannot remember where I found the chart and I also note from other blogs that I am supposed to tell you what I stitched it on and the thread count and colour etc.  On this matter I will just say that I used 14 count aida (which seems to be terribly frowned on nowadays) and an assortment of thread that I had in my stash.  I had the charm in my box.  I have made it into a small cushion and am now looking for a suitable basket to display it and a few others in the making.  Despite scouring the charity shops yesterday, I couldn't find a single basket anywhere! 
 


 
 
Hope you are all having a happy Sunday.
 
Dev x 

No comments: