Friday 2 May 2008

Patchwork Quilt

Thought I would show you a picture of my daughters patchwork quilt that I made her last year...well I say that, I finished it last year after about 2 years in the making!

I decided to keep it simple and make it in 6 inch squares, every other one being plain pink cotton. I then did a trawl on the internet for fabric as well as begging, stealing and borrowing off what friends I have that craft. I made paper templates much the same as the ones you see in the hexagon designs, the reason being that I wanted to hand sew it all. The only part that is machined is the actually quilting itself. I had to borrow a friends machine for that as I need a special foot for mine and they are incredibly expensive. A lot of the fabric I got from America.



On a completely seperate note, I am looking for advice. I have got an old wooden mirror that I am going to paint white. I then want to "distress" it but I am not sure what that actually means. Do you just paint it and then rub some off again, do you use sand paper...? Please help!


2 comments:

Miss sew n sew said...

I've painted lots of our furniture white it's amazing how a lick of paint can transform old things. I paint and then use sand paper on the edges and corners to show bits of the wood underneath it's that easy! Thanks for your chicken advice your cockeral sounds like a character I've amended my blog your in my list finally!
Sarahx

Curlew Country said...

The closest I've got to distressing is putting on a streaky first coat then never getting around to putting on the next one! As well as lightly sanding the edges I think it works if you rub a wax candle where you want it to look worn, the paint doesn't stick and hey presto. Try a google search and you'll get a guide how to I'm sure.
What a triumph your quilt is. I longed for somthing like that when I was a littel girl, I bet your daughter will treasure it forever. What a lovely thing to make.
Have a smashing weekend.
Stephx